Today's post is by George Brontén, a lifelong technology entrepreneur, and founder and CEO of Membrain.com, a sales enablement CRM. His new book is Stop Killing Deals: How to Avoid Deadly Assumptions and Achieve Sales Excellence.
Would it surprise you if I said sales technology does not hold all (or even most) of the answers to common sales challenges?
This may seem counterintuitive – salespeople use a lot of very helpful technology tools, especially now that 90 percent of sales teams are closing deals remotely.
But, despite an explosion of technology and tools in the past 10 years, the sales profession has not seen a lot of progress in sales effectiveness in that same time frame. In fact, I founded Membrain.com in 2012 because I saw that current technologies were, in many cases, making problems worse rather than solving them.
That’s because most sales technologies are built on the same three bad assumptions that cause the problems they’re trying to solve.
Three Assumptions about Sales Technology That Kill Deals
Take, for instance, the CRM. Most CRMs are simply databases with tools wrapped around them. When the CRM was invented, it was intended as a replacement for the Rolodex. As such, it was effective in making it easier for salespeople to keep track of information.
But it didn’t make salespeople better salespeople, because it still operated on the three bad assumptions that kill deals:
- Salespeople are born, not made.
- Salespeople are naturally self-disciplined.
- Sellers and buyers are driven largely by logic.
All these assumptions reflect a misunderstanding of human nature, and all three lead to poor sales results.
In my new book, I explore each of these assumptions and show where they are hidden inside most sales organizations. I also reveal how sales leaders can:
- Defeat the deal-killing monsters lurking in your buyer’s subconscious
- Heal your organization and help your team win with sales enablement
- Align your strategy, process, and methodology to achieve scalable, world-class sales performance
- Build your sales coaching around your sales process to generate exponential results within complex B2B sales environments
- Understand the essential humanity of your sales workforce, thereby enabling you to recruit better, train, and support the people on your team in order to win more deals
- Turn your sales technology into your servant, not your master
Embrace the Humanity of Selling to Improve Sales Performance
I lay out a framework for achieving world-class sales performance based on this better, correct understanding of the sales team. The framework starts with a human-centered strategy, and drills down through all the layers of the organization to align every aspect of it with a proper understanding of the humanity of both buyers and sellers.
The book is a fast read and supplemented with extensive additional material, including white papers, tools, and calculators, available for download via an online resource center. My hope is that the book will provide a new way to structure complex B2B sales organizations to yield substantial performance gains while honoring the basic humanity that connects us all.
In a world saturated by more and more technology and inundated by artificial intelligence, I believe returning to our humanity is the only real way forward.
Contact George at email@example.com and purchase his new book, Stop Killing Deals: How to Avoid Deadly Assumptions and Achieve Sales Excellence.