To get the best results, salespeople have learned to adapt to a business environment that moves at the speed of light. But many of us get so used to that adrenaline rush of pursuing the deal that we often forget about the power of powering down.
What I like about the long days of summer is that they are a great time to recharge and bolster your skill set in order to set yourself up for end-of-year success. In the May/June 2011 issue of Selling Power magazine, we published “Summer Reading for America’s Best Sales Teams,” to put the power of learning within reach of any team that wants to achieve a brighter future. The reading list is reproduced in full below and is also available via PDF download on www.sellingpower.com.
- The Sales Growth Imperative: How World Class Sales Organizations Successfully Manage the Four Stages of Growth by David J. Cichelli
- Sell Yourself First: The Most Critical Element in Every Sales Effort by Thomas A. Freese
- SNAP Selling: Speed Up Sales and Win More Business with Today’s Frazzled Customers by Jill Konrath
- Sales Chaos: Using Agility Selling to Think and Sell Differently by Tim Ohai and Brian Lambert
- Conversations that Win the Complex Sale: Using Power Messaging to Create More Opportunities, Differentiate Your Solutions, and Close More Deals by Eric Peterson and Tim Riesterer
- Small Message, Big Impact: How to Put the Power of the Elevator Speech Effect to Work for You by Terri L. Sjodin
- Exceptional Selling: How the Best Connect and Win in High Stakes Sales by Jeff Thull
- Mastering the Complex Sale: How to Compete and Win When the Stakes Are High! by Jeff Thull
- The Prime Solution: Close the Value Gap, Increase Margins, and Win the Complex Sale by Jeff Thull
- Never Fly Solo: Lead with Courage, Build Trusting Partnerships, and Reach New Heights in Business by Rob “Waldo” Waldman
Sales leaders who fail to equip their sales teams with winning methodologies and fundamental selling skills will fail to see results. I encourage you to use the terrific books on this list as a starting point to get your team in gear and make the most of your long summer days.